[BT Strat]Gurtogg Bloodboil

Strats for bosses in Mount Hyjal and Black Temple
Dryness
Site Admin
Character Name(s): Dryness, Wetness
Batletag: Dryness#1478

[BT Strat]Gurtogg Bloodboil

Post by Dryness » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Hoping to get to him on Sunday, this is going to be our next boss in The Black Temple. He's the first real boss of any difficulty we'll encounter.

It should also be mentioned that I spent over 2 fucking hours on this retarded strat. So you fuckers better make it worth it.

Overview
Gurtogg is a 2-phase fight, has 5.6million HP and makes healers want to kill themselves. We're going to be stacking the raid for our first couple of downings, so if you get left out, it's not because you suck, it's because your class is a liability (sorry mages :(). We'll be going with heavy melee (rogues) and healers (holy priest) and dropping a few ranged dps.
We also NEED 3 tanks.

Phase 1 lasts 60 seconds, during which the ENTIRE RAID must know what they're doing, and EVERYONE IS MOBILE.
I'll be breaking the raid into 3 groups, and every 10 seconds one of these groups is going to HAVE to MOVE or we fail.
Phase 2 is where classes become a liability. Gurtogg casts Fel Rage on a raid member, who then TANKS Gurtogg for 30 seconds before we loop back to Phase 1.

Repeat until he's dead. Or enrages, which is when we be dead (10 minutes).

Gurtogg's Abilities
**Mouseover the spell/ability name for specifics**
Phase 1 Abilities

Melee attacks - Hits for 5 to 6k on Plate, crushes for 8 to 9k. During Phase 2, he can hit clothies for up to 20k.
Bloodboil - Damage taken can be reduced by resilience gear and a Warlock's Shadow Embrace. Is cast every 10 seconds on the 5 people furthest away from him. We will have 3 rotating groups of "soakers" to spread the damage around. Can be removed via Ice Block and Blessing of Protection, but never should be under normal circumstances.
Acidic Wound - Can only be removed via complete Immunities (Ice Block and Divine Intervention), should only be applied to tanks and the person with Fel Rage. Can be dodged/parried/missed.
Eject - Cast during Phase 1 on the Tank, effect is similar to a Hunter's Scatter Shot. Also causes a knockback. Drops aggro for the duration (approx. 15seconds).
Arcing Smash - Despite the tooltip, actual range is only 3-4 yards. Is a frontal-cleave, automatically refreshes Acidic Wound on whoever it hits. Deals 5k damage in Phase 1.
Fel-Acid Breath - Resistable, will be cast on ANY MELEE IN RANGE, and can hit casters who are too close.

Phase 2 Abilities
**Outside of Acid Geyser and Insignificance, only affects the Fel Rage'd target**
Arcing Smash - Same as Phase 1, but hits for 12k this phase on top of the usual effects (Acidic Wound and the Mortal Strike effect).
Fel-Acid Breath -Same as Phase 1, 8k resistable nature damage.
Acid Geyser - Used when phase 2 begins, this ability targets the Fel Raged person and deals 5k nature damage to that person and all raid members within 5 yards of them.
Insignificance - All abilities used when this debuff is applied cause no threat. This is cast on the entire raid at the start of Phase 2. The target with Fel Rage will not show as having Insignificance, but still their actions during phase 2 will not affect their threat level. This ability is resistible, so be careful to ensure that you have Insignificance before going all DPS on Gurtogg in phase 2.
Fel Rage/Fel Rage 2 - This is what makes the fight what it is. Is cast every 90 seconds on a random raid target (apparently not Warriors though) as well as himself. Lasts 30 seconds. First, the effects:
- increases armour by 15,000
- increases health by 30,000
- increases healing done by 100%
- increases damage done by 300%
- increases size by 100%

THE PERSON WITH FEL RAGE MUST BE TOPPED OFF AT ALL TIMES. NOBODY ELSE WILL BE TAKING DAMAGE (outside of the small nature damage from the cast) AND IF THE TARGET DIES, WE WIPE.

Positioning - Phase 1
Position in the room can be adjusted, but the actual layout will be as shown below.
RHG=Ranged/Healer Group MT= Main Tank OT= Off Tank M= Melee

Ranged/Healers group up ~15 yards behind where Gurtogg is being tanked. Should be on the edge of the water.
OT/Melee are on opposite sides of each other, with the Main Tank facing Gurtogg away from the raid, on the edge of the water.

The positioning here is important. The reason we have the Healers/Ranged on the edge of the water is because of the Bloodboil... each time it's a groups turn to switch, they take a few steps backwards, so they're all in the water. They get the debuff, move back into the raid, and the next group steps back.

Positioning - Phase 2
We're going to keep it similar to the Phase 1 setup, with a few changes.
The first change: Everyone in the Bloodboil group spreads out AFTER the 5th cast. This minimalizes the splash damage from Acid Geyser.
The second: The player who gets Fel Rage has to move Gurtogg AWAY from the raid so we don't all get cleaved. Ideally, I'd like ALL melee to collapse back briefly on the ranged, and have the Fel Raged target bring Gurtogg over to where he was tanked before.

Strategy
Before the pull, Mages will cast Amplify Magic on the raid. While it will increase the nature damage taken, the healing benefits far outweigh the slight increase in damage.

Phase 1 is all about keeping the Bloodboil rotations on point and keeping the raid up. Phase 2 is all about keeping the Fel Rage'd player alive and DPS'ing the hell out of Gurtogg.

The Bloodboil rotations will look like this:
0:00- Phase One starts
0:10 BB1- Group 1
0:20 BB2- Group 2
0:30 BB3- Group 3
0:40 BB4- Group 1
0:50 BB5- Group 2
0:60- Phase Two Starts

You'll see there's 2 groups taking 2 stacks of Bloodboil, so these groups will be stacked with our highest HP players as well as Shadow Priests, Holy Priests and Warlocks.
The reason we have 3 groups being rotated is to spread the damage around so that the healers can keep up.
When it's your group's turn (will be called out), you will step back, into the water behind the ranged DPS. Gurtogg will then cast Bloodboil on you and your group. When you're afflicted by it, go back to your spot and the next soak group gets it. We keep this rotation up during phase 1.

When Phase 2 starts, groups 1 and 2 will still have the debuff on them, and will continue to need healing. A lot of this will be negated by the Shadow Priests having both VT and VE up, and hopefully a CoH can be spared to top them off. If you're a healer and not assigned to either of those 2 groups, your job is to keep the person with Fel Rage up, which means unrelentless heal spam. If that person dies, the raid wipes.

Healers
As usual, you have the toughest job here. We NEED 2 healers on the MT at all times, a Paladin and Shaman are perfect for this for the quick heals and armor bonus. We also need a 3rd on the tank who have the Acidic Wound debuff when transitioning into Phase 2.
The priests with CoH will be spamming that when their group gets Bloodboil, and will continue to do so during Phase 2 until it runs out, at which point, you spam heals on the Fel Rage target.
THERE SHOULD BE NO CANCEL/STOP-CASTING DURING PHASE 2 AT ALL. If a Clothie gets Fel Raged, they can be 2-shotted, and the raid wipes.

Tanking/Misdirects
Tanks need their High Avoidance gear for this fight. Stacking avoidance means you take less Acidic Wound debuffs which helps the healers a lot. Don't gimp your threat-generation too much though, for obvious reasons.
When you lose aggro, whether it be from Eject or Knockback, you need change position with whoever just picked him up ASAP. The person tanking Gurtogg is the one who should be Thunderclap'ing and Demo Shouting, while the OT's fight for aggro.

Misdirects go on the tank with the LOWEST aggro throughout the fight, pay attention so they don't get stacked, listen to Tast for the rotations.

During Phase 2 - DPS your hearts out, Insignificance is an aggro FREEZE, so after Phase 2 is over, whoever had aggro on him before Fel Rage, is tanking him. Be ready to pick him up in the last 5 seconds of the Fel Rage. Going back into Phase 1, because of the aggro freeze, he will snap back to whoever was tanking him, ideally you're right behind him (which is in-front of the Fel Rage target...) at which point you spin him around and do your thang again.

DPS (Ranged AND Melee)
Phase 1:
This phase is not a race. NEVER ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER, get above the second tank in threat. Unspeakable horrors await you if you do. Take it easy and stay calm. Follow your appropriate Bloodboil rotation and you'll be fine.

Phase 2:
Make sure you get the Insignificance debuff, because it IS resistable (which is BAD). Once you have it, balls-out. Insignificance causes an aggro-freeze for the duration, so once it wears off (30 seconds) everything goes back to the way it was, with you guys paying attention to your aggro again.

Fel Rage and YOU
This is where the raid will wipe. If a clothie gets it, BIG HEALS FOR THE DURATION. Gurtogg's damage ramps up near the end, and 20k crits can happen (on cloth) which can mean getting 2-shotted.
If you get Fel Rage'd, MOVE OUT OF THE GOD DAMN RAID. I don't care where, as long as you're close enough to get heals and GURTOGG's back is to the raid.
IF YOU GET FEL RAGED, AND YOU USE ANY IMMUNITY ABILITY, YOU ARE NEVER, EVER, EVER COMING BACK TO MY RAID. EVER.

That said, here's a breakdown of what to do for each class:

Warlock: Use Deathcoil and spam drain/siphon life. Pop your healthstone.
Hunter: Use Deterrence if you have it, switch to aspect of the monkey for dodge.
Rogue: Pop Evasion and all DPS CD's, go to town on the DPS. Use COS after he nature breaths you.
Paladin: Start spam healing yourself. Use Holy Shock.
Ret Paladin: Put on a shield, start healing yourself.
Resto Shaman: Place your earthshield on yourself as soon as possible. Blow NS on yourself, chain lesser healing wave on yourself ASAP.
Elemental Shaman: Heal yourself for whatever you can. Use your NS to heal yourself near the start of it.
Enhancement Shaman: Pop shamanistic rage ASAP, get a shield on, start healing yourself.
Holy Priest: PWS yourself ASAP, start spaming self heals. Keep renew down and flash yourself the whole time.
Shadow Priest: PWS yourself ASAP, stay in shadow form, do not go out to heal. Gain W/E HP you can back from Vampiric Embrace.
Druids: Go bear form ASAP. Use frenzied regeneration on yourself. If you are fast enough, or are thinking ahead, barkskin just prior to the start of P2.
Mages: LOLZ GOOD LUCK. Switch to Ice Armor/Barrier if possible, constantly re-casting. Mana Shield if you're really low HP, cast instants (Ice Lance, Fire Blast). Pray.
Last edited by Dryness on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added the reasoning for Bloodboil groups
Steam: Dryness Wii Code: 0334 1765 2067 2259 Last.FM: Dryness

PSN ID: Atomik_Penguin

Dryness
Site Admin

Re: [BT Strat]Gurtogg Bloodboil

Post by Dryness » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Videos
Tank P.o.V

Melee P.o.V - Ignore the location comments here, we're pulling him to the water lines.

Ranged P.o.V

Healer P.o.V

Anewak
Character Name(s): Anewak
Gathererer
Little
Sneakster
Anewaker
Gamertag: Anewak

Post by Anewak » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Just wanted to note that I was confused about Bloodboil and why we had to make groups/back away in order to deal with it. The info on the list dosn't specify that it hits multiple people or not, only that it targets someone.

It wasn't untill I watched the videos that it said the people FURTHEST from Gurtogg are hit with Bloodboil. Just in case anyone was as confused as I was with Dry's explaination, lol =)

Then again, the video could be wrong, in which case I'm still confused about the need of groups and rotations =P

Dryness
Site Admin

Post by Dryness » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Hrmm, I'd swear the tooltip listed that it affected 5 targets, but I guess I was wrong. I'll update that under the boss abilities section.

In short, yes. It affects the 5 people furthest away from him, which is why there's going to be 3 groups established. If the debuff stacks beyond 2, it requires far too much healing, and we have people rotate so the damage gets spread around which means it's easier to handle.

Anewak
Character Name(s): Anewak
Gathererer
Little
Sneakster
Anewaker
Gamertag: Anewak

Post by Anewak » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:51 pm

Perfect, that was the missing bit that was confusing me, lol, thanks!

Zephyr
Character Name(s): Zephyr, Jeopardy
Gamertag: xXx HELIX xXx
Batletag: Helix#1513

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:33 pm

Dryness wrote:Mages: LOLZ GOOD LUCK. Switch to Ice Armor/Barrier if possible, constantly re-casting. Mana Shield if you're really low HP, cast instants (Ice Lance, Fire Blast). Pray.

Sy by cast instants, I assume that means we are running/kiting the whole time we are Fel Raged?!?

Forlyn

Post by Forlyn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:16 am

IMPORTANT NOTE OMGZ

When a fel rage is inc, dont go near any of the low hanging ceilings, because if you grow so big that you would clip through the ceiling, you DONT GROW, and DONT GET THE BUFF, and the raid WIPES. So yeah, be careful.
Forlyn - 80 prot warrior
Flareblitz - 70 tablemaker
Rezi - 80 resto shammy

Dryness
Site Admin

Post by Dryness » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:59 am

Thallium wrote:
Dryness wrote:Mages: LOLZ GOOD LUCK. Switch to Ice Armor/Barrier if possible, constantly re-casting. Mana Shield if you're really low HP, cast instants (Ice Lance, Fire Blast). Pray.

Sy by cast instants, I assume that means we are running/kiting the whole time we are Fel Raged?!?

No. If anyone runs when Fel Raged, you're wrong. Your job, while fel raged, is to get him out of the raid. Never give him your back or he'll crit you to death. You take him to where he's being tanked in Phase 1 (or anywhere in range of healers) stand there and take it like a man. Do as much damage as you can, there's too much spell-pushback when he's melee'ing you, which is why you're spamming your instants.

Zephyr
Character Name(s): Zephyr, Jeopardy
Gamertag: xXx HELIX xXx
Batletag: Helix#1513

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:02 am

Dryness wrote:Do as much damage as you can, there's too much spell-pushback when he's melee'ing you, which is why you're spamming your instants.

Go Go 5/5 Improved Arcane Missles ;)

I want to get the most out of my buff: damage done by 300%. If I'm going to tank it, I want to spank it too.
Last edited by Zephyr on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smackey
Character Name(s): [armory]Smackey[/armory] [armory]Smacksole[/armory][armory]Healey[/armory] [armory]Stabbey[/armory]

Post by Smackey » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:35 am

Soooooo... pop bubble right after I get Fel Rage right?..... or am I missing something. :D

Dryness
Site Admin

Post by Dryness » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:06 am

Thallium wrote:
Dryness wrote:Do as much damage as you can, there's too much spell-pushback when he's melee'ing you, which is why you're spamming your instants.

Go Go 5/5 Improved Arcane Missles ;)

I want to get the most out of my buff: damage done by 300%. If I'm going to tank it, I want to spank it too.

You could do that as well, under ideal circumstances, Mages won't get Fel Raged. Under our circumstances, only Mages will.

squaght

Post by squaght » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:30 am

Please no bubble samckey :twisted:
Our sound we come to take over!
All others better look over their shoulder!!

stupak

Post by stupak » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:54 am

Woot for being a warrior, and not being able to get the debuff. I vote all warriors for melee for this boss, pfffffft.
Ando wrote:I think you dicks can handle it yourselves. No need to get 100 other dicks in the bag ;)
Dryness wrote:I mean, you're not dead or in jail yet after all the shit you've done. So it's gotta be skills.

Dandin

Post by Dandin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:39 am

Dry could you tell me how many healers you need in each bloodbloil group so I can begin doing assignments? Thanks.

Dryness
Site Admin

Post by Dryness » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:37 am

Uhh... use math with the strat?

Running with 7 healers:
2 on MT always
+ 1 on the previous MT with the acidic wounds.
=3 healers

7-3 = 4 healers

MT/Melee = 1 group
Ranged/soakers = 3 groups

Magic number = 1.3 per group.
The SECOND group of soakers gets a second healer, since they've got to deal with the bloodboil longer.

Of course, there's going to be 1 group only eating one set of bloodboils, and as soon as that debuff wears off they can either assist healing the fel raged target, or general raid healing on other groups.